Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

Family Fun Day

We all remember the day that the forced outings ended for the Gilbert family. My grandma, "B", and my mom were heading off to a horse auction at Rutgers. Headed for safety, Libby ran to the barn, Sarah to the basset kennel, and me to the back fields. But we were wrangled nonetheless. In the fateful moment I was caught, my grandma leaped from her seat, looped around the car, spewing the f-word as my mother flipped me off. Convinced by this show of profanity from the matriarchs of my family, I joined my sullen sisters in the back seat. And off we went. But, hey! Isn't that the street B lived on for a month in college? And is this where she rode her bike that time? After countless detours into B's past, we arrived long after the auction had ended. To make the journey worth it, we bursted into private offices where B had allegedly worked once, and found B a sandwich, the rest of us marking our misery in hunger. And in this torment, the famous photo was taken on the sidewalk, representing the last forced outing as a family - three sneering children, two spiteful mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment